Happy new year everyone! 2017 was a massive year for all of us here at The Clinic, and we have loads of exciting plans for 2018. My first speaking engagement of the year is coming up later this month, and I’m really looking forward to it: I’m one of the guests at this month’s Featured In Fifteen event on Thursday 18th January. Founded by two local mums, Featured in Fifteen is a community arts project that celebrates the rich mix of creative talent in the Forest Hill area.
If you’ve never heard of it, the idea is really simple. A selected group of speakers each takes 15 minutes to talk about their passion: what they are working towards, their hopes and dreams, and hopefully inspiring the audience to get involved or make changes in their own lives!
The January theme is “Cure and Cause”, and I’ll be talking about what lead me to change track in my own career and launch The Clinic.
I’m in really excellent company too: the other speakers on the night include:
- Pip Majerski, sharing her battle with cancer following diagnosis with stage 4 bowel cancer 10 months ago
- Gabby Edlin, founder of the Bloody Good Period charity, which works to help end period poverty by donating period supplies to asylum seekers, refugees & those who can’t afford them
- Alice, founder of A Lotus Rises, a women’s swimming collective on a mission to increase visibility, access and participation of women in swimming
- Bex Band from Love Her Wild, which offers opportunities and inspiration to help women find more adventure in their lives
- Four-piece band Wilford Social, an indie-folk group with a shared love of the singer-songwriter tradition, fresh from dates at Camp Bestival and Towersey Festival last year
You can find out more about the Featured in:15 January event on their website here: https://www.wearetheworks.org/ff-january-2017/.
It would be lovely to see some familiar faces in the audience, so please do come along if you can make it! The venue is The Signal on Devonshire Road in Forest Hill, and the suggested minimum donation is £10 for a ticket, with all of the funds raised going help fund Pip Majerski’s ongoing cancer treatment. The evening kicks off at 7pm, and it’s sure to be an inspiring experience. A great way to start 2018!